If you live in England or Wales then you have a few options open to you if Japanese knotweed is encroaching onto your land from a neighbouring property. A Community Protection Notice is sometimes the best remedy in these scenarios, they force individuals causing a disturbance to others to remedy the problem. In this case, it would force a neighbour to take reasonable steps to keep their Japanese knotweed within their land, which can only be done by destroying it. This can be an ongoing program of treatments by a professional firm.